Henson Creek-South Potomac Minor Plan Amendment and SMA
- The proposed minor plan amendment and proposed concurrent sectional map amendment are now available for review online! See the "Project Documents" tab above for links.
- The Planning Board work session on the Minor Plan Amendment and SMA was held on September 7, 2023. Staff was directed to prepare Resolutions PCGPB No. 2023-93 (Minor Plan Amendment Adoption) and PCGPB No. 2023-94 (Sectional Map Amendment Endorsement), which were approved by the Planning Board on September 14, 2023, and will be presented to the District Council for final approval.
- The District Council work session on the Henson Creek-South Potomac Minor Plan Amendment and Sectional Map Amendment (SMA) will take place on Tuesday, October 10, 2023. Visit the Prince George's County Council website for additional information on how to view this meeting.
- The Henson Creek-South Potomac Minor Plan Amendment and SMA was initiated by the District Council on March 28, 2023 through CR-020-2023.
- The joint public hearing to seek public comment and testimony concerning this proposed minor plan amendment and proposed concurrent sectional map amendment was held Tuesday, June 13, 2023, at 6:00 p.m. at the Wayne K. Curry Administrative Building. Video of the joint public hearing is available to view through the County Council's website.
The Henson Creek-South Potomac Minor Plan Amendment and Sectional Map Amendment (SMA) is intended to update the 2006 Approved Master Plan and Sectional Map Amendment for the Henson Creek-South Potomac Planning Area. In particular, this process will remove and replace certain obsolete development pattern guidelines, policies, and strategies for the physical development of portions of the Master Plan areas. Additionally, the concurrent Sectional Map Amendment will rezone select properties within Planning Areas 76B and 80 to be consistent with recommendations in the amended plan.
This process was initiated by the County Council of Prince George’s County, Maryland sitting as the District Council through CR-020-2023, adopted on March 28, 2023.
- March 28, 2023: District Council Initiation
- April 14, 2023: Release Proposed Minor Plan Amendment and Preliminary SMA to Public
- April 25, 2023: Meeting with the Broad Creek Historic District Local Advisory Committee
- May 16, 2023: Meeting with the Historic Preservation Commission
- June 13, 2023: Joint Public Hearing
- September 14, 2023: Planning Board Action
- November 14, 2023: District Council Action
- 2006 Approved Master Plan and Sectional Map Amendment for the Henson Creek-South Potomac Planning Area (2006 HCSP Master Plan)
- Proposed Minor Plan Amendment to the 2006 HCSP Master Plan (see proposed amendments on pp.4-17)
- Proposed Concurrent Sectional Map Amendment for portions of the HCSP Planning Area
- Rezoning Request packet and forms
Meetings and Events
- District Council Initiation
- Resolution of Initiation (CR-020-2023) (March 28, 2023)
- May 16, 2023 Historic Preservation Commission Meeting
- June 13, 2023 Joint Public Hearing
- September 7, 2023 Planning Board Work Session
- September 14, 2023 Planning Board Action
- What is the Henson Creek-South Potomac Minor Plan Amendment and Sectional Map Amendment?
- The Henson Creek-South Potomac Minor Plan Amendment and Sectional Map Amendment (SMA) is a process to update the 2006 Approved Master Plan and Sectional Map Amendment for the Henson Creek-South Potomac Planning Area. This concurrent process is intended to remove and replace certain obsolete development pattern guidelines, policies, and strategies to reflect the County’s current development priorities and rezone certain properties within the Master Plan’s boundaries.
- These processes will not adjust land uses for or rezone every property within the project area but will only examine land uses and rezonings for specific properties identified in the plan.
- What is zoning?
- Zoning, broadly speaking, determines what can and cannot be built on a property and the amount of development that can occur. For example, a property in a residential zone typically prohibits the construction of non-residential uses like restaurants and factories.
- Why did I get this notification letter regarding the Henson Creek-South Potomac Minor Plan Amendment and Sectional Map Amendment?
- You are the owner of a parcel that has been identified for a potential rezoning of your property. The letter is intended to inform you of the Joint Public Hearing scheduled for June 13, 2023 and your opportunity to weigh in on the process by submitting testimony through the hearing.
- What is my new zone?
- The proposed SMA document that identifies the specific properties identified for potential rezoning will be released for public review on April 14, 2023 on the project webpage.
- Why are you rezoning?
- The SMA is intended to enable the zoning that reflects the County’s current development priorities and prohibit uses that are deemed inappropriate or obsolete. The SMA is needed to ensure consistency with and implement the recommendations of the master plan, as amended.
- Will this raise my property taxes?
- In most cases, no.
- Will this SMA change my school district or zip code?
- No. An SMA only changes the zoning on specific properties.