About the Museums
W. Henry Duvall Tool MuseumThe W Henry Duvall Tool Museum houses trade tools, household items and farm implements from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The museum is named for W Henry Duvall, who amassed most of the items found in this extensive collection acquired by M-NCPPC in 1981.
Blacksmith Shop With Farrier & Tack ShopConstructed by volunteers in 2001, this building contains a reproduction blacksmith shop with farrier and tack shop. The blacksmith shop, modeled after one located in Aquasco that was built around 1880, has a working forge. Both include many turn-of-the-century tools and artifacts.
Tobacco Farming MuseumThe Tobacco Farming Museum tells the story of tobacco in southern Maryland from its initial use by American Indians through its continued controversial use today. The exhibits include tobacco-related farming equipment, in particular, a late nineteenth century tobacco press.
Duckett CabinBuilt in the in the late 19th century, the Duckett Cabin is a rare surviving example of a tenant farming family's home. According to Trueman family oral history, it was built by Charles Duckett, a former slave on their farm who served in the Union Navy during the Civil War. The cabin originally stood on the Trueman farm in Aquasco in southern Prince George's County. It was moved to Patuxent River Park in 1974. Vegetables and herbs, typical of those found in the side yards of tenant farmers, are grown on-site and used in open-hearth cooking demonstrations in the cabin.
Three outbuildings are located next to the Duckett Cabin: a one-hole wooden privy from the early twentieth century, a chicken coop, and a meat house. The meat house contains stretchers for drying animal hides and was used to store smoked meats. These outbuildings were brought to the complex from farms in Prince George's County where they were no longer in use and in danger of being destroyed.