Clearwater Nature center offers curriculum-related programs for school groups as well as Community Outreach programs held at your location. For program reservations and inquiries, please email Stephanie Jacob, or call 301-297-4575.
All programs held at Clearwater Nature Center include an outdoor component that can be modified for inclement weather. Please dress accordingly. Our auditorium can accommodate 60 people; larger groups can be divided.
There is no fee for walk-in visitors and self-guided tours except during special events. Walk-in groups are encouraged to call first as we may have other large groups visiting.
School Programs (most programs can be modified for all grade levels)
LIVE ANIMAL PROGRAM (PRE-K & UP)
Students learn unique, interesting, and fun facts about members from our live animal collection. The Live Animal Program can be adapted to focus on a specific animal population and/or topic (e.g. reptiles, insects, mammals, habitats, animal behavior, etc).
DISCOVERY HIKE (PRE-K & UP)
Let's go outside! We will take your group on a hike in our woods. This program is also flexible and can be specialized (e.g. sensory hike, creek hike, identification hike, etc). The creek hike is seasonal and only offered April-September.
FLORA OF THE FOREST (AND MORE) (K & UP)
Students will learn the unique characteristics of plants and how they are beneficial to us. Topics may include plant structure, photosynthesis, pollution, erosion control, natural cycles (water, carbon, etc), and how to "read" a tree. This program may also include dynamic movement in order to help participants understand the concepts being covered. Depending on the weather and educational goals, a hike can be included.
CREEK FREAKS (GRADES 1 & UP)
Students will learn about watersheds and how healthy trees, shrubs and grasses protect clean water and wildlife during the indoor presentation. Then, they will conduct hands-on experiments, learn how to monitor water quality and venture outside to explore a local stream. Students should wear old clothes and shoes that can get wet.
GEOLOGY (GRADES 4 & UP)
Designed for older students, this program explores all sorts of wonderful facets (pun intended!) about rocks and minerals. Topics may include the rock cycle, properties of rocks, Moh's Hardness Scale, types of rocks, land formations, etc.
IMPORTANT PROGRAM INFORMATION
- If you do not see the program you want, give us a call and we will see what we can work out.
- All programs (with the exception of the Geology program) can be held at Clearwater or your school/facility (hikes depend on the area surrounding your location).
- For programs, groups larger than 50 may be split into smaller groups. For hikes, groups larger than 20 participants may be divided into smaller groups. We will do our best to let you know ahead of time if we are planning to break up your group.
- We have many wonderful places to eat lunch during your visit. Please let us know if you plan to have lunch while you are here and we will prepare the area accordingly. Cosca Regional Park (the park in which we are located) is also a wonderful place to eat lunch―and it has a playground!
- Our programs satisfy some of the Maryland State Curriculum Science Standards. Contact us for more information!
Programs presented at Clearwater Nature Center (minimum 10 people)
- $3/person: Prince George's and Montgomery County schools.
- $4/person: schools in all other counties.
- An optional craft can be requested for an additional $1/person.
Programs presented at your location (minimum 25 people)
- $4/person: Prince George's and Montgomery County schools.
- $6/person: schools in all other counties.
- Craft option is not available.
- Live Animal Shows: special rates for large groups may apply. Please inquire for details.